Serves: 2 as main, 4 as starter
FOR THE CALAMARI
- 250 millilitres groundnut oil (or as needed depending on size of pan)
- 500 grams frozen squid (tubes and tentacles)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons semolina
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning (or use 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon Paprika)
FOR THE GARLIC MAYONNAISE
- ½ clove garlic
- 100 grams best-quality mayonnaise (preferably organic)
- Heat the oil in a smallish saucepan and, while it’s left to warm up, cut the thawed squid into 1cm/half inch rings.
- Put the cornflour, semolina and seasoning into a plastic freezer bag.
- Add the squid rings and tentacles and then toss to coat.
- When the oil is hot enough, which is when it sizzles up fiercely when you drop in a small cube of bread, fry the squid in batches to get the most golden crunchiness. A couple of minutes per batch is all you should need.
- Grate or crush the garlic into the mayonnaise, stir to mix, and then serve alongside the fried squid.